CBD Oil as Sleep Aid?
If you were thinking about using the CBD oil for sleep, you are correct. CBD Oil is a fantastic sleep aid, and can prove particularly useful for the 70 million Americans suffering from a sleep disorder, as well as the 20% of Americans who average less than 6 hours per night. While we may live in a culture that prides itself on functioning off coffee and energy drinks with minimal sleep, it’s become a serious health epidemic. According to Matthew Walker, the director of U.C. Berkeley’s Center for Human Sleep Science, getting less than 8 hours correlates to Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity, and poor mental health. Some startling statistics include the following:
- Adults over 45 who average less than 6 hours per night have a 200% higher chance of having a heart attack or stroke in their lifetime, compared to people getting at least 7 hours per night.
- Men with insomnia had a two-fold risk of developing prostate cancer.
- Adults with insomnia had a 50% higher chance of developing colorectal cancer.
- Women are more likely to develop a more aggressive form of breast cancer with a persistent lack of sleep.
- Sleep problems may contribute to the development of mental illnesses, as 50% to 80% of psychiatric patients have issues with insomnia, compared to 10% to 18% of adults in the general U.S. population.
The effect of lack of sleep on our health also affects our economy. For instance, sleep deprivation costs the UK 2% GDP in lost revenue.
So what can we do about this? For some people, getting more sleep is just a matter of changing a few habits. For instance, we can make changes to our diet by cutting out sugar and caffeine. Or we can make it a point to incorporate healthier nighttime rituals, like putting electronics away at least an hour before bed and meditating instead.
For other people with sleep disorders, racing thoughts, pain, and other issues, changing habits might not be enough. Many in this demographic have turned to sleep aids like melatonin, Ambien, Lunesta, etc. However, many of these sleep aids have undesirable side effects and can lead to dependence. These side effects include gastrointestinal problems, feeling sleepy for a prolonged period after waking up, and engaging in “sleep behaviors” like sleep walking and sleep eating.
While we suggest always consulting a doctor when treating a health condition, the public should be aware of studies showing CBD Oil for sleep is effective and natural sleep aid with minimal side effects. For example:
- CBD generally stimulates relaxation.
- CBD also has antipsychotic effects, which can mellow out anxiety.
- For people who cannot sleep because of pain issues, CBD hemp oil works to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Preliminary sleep studies suggest CBD hemp oil as an effective remedy for achieving deep sleep (REM), while also inducing daytime wakefulness. These studies also suggest CBD oil as more effective than THC for treating sleep disorders, as THC can impair sleep quality in the long term.
- CBD oil has virtually no negative side effects compared to those typically found in antipsychotic drugs.
In addition to preliminary studies, anecdotal evidence supports the use of CBD hemp oil as an effective sleep aid. Thus, while we may not understand the exact mechanisms for why CBD helps to induce both deep sleep and wakefulness, accounts from real people show it works. Some people’s accounts even say they were able to replace their prescription sleep medications with CBD hemp oil, since prescription medications were ineffective.
Ultimately, everyone is different, and what combinations of medications, supplements, and other strategies for getting a more restful night’s rest will depend on a person’s individual needs. A doctor’s opinion is also always warranted. However, giving the mounting evidence that CBD hemp oil can prove helpful with minimal side effects, as well as evidence showing how important sleep is for our overall health, we would hope everyone looking to get better sleep take CBD hemp oil into consideration.